Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Original Poem: Equation for Love



this poem was written almost a year back and it came about from a question a friend posed to me about love and mathematics, and if there was an equation to measure the perfect love. I'm sure there is a scientific equation for attraction and love, but as we all know, love is rather unpredictable sometimes and it's hard to measure our emotions. I love how this poem words play out sensitively about the topic, and how at least for me, the equation of it all, relative to the feeling. Hope you enjoy this poem, please comment below-Rafael Andrade Garza


formula of life

How do you measure a heartbeat?
Systematically or empirically?
I’ve read that the actual calculation,
At least mathematically,
is to subtract your age from the number 220
“HRmax=220-age”
The equation sometimes challenged
due to the response to intensity
oxygen and time
Breath of life

How many average breaths in a lifetime?
16 breaths per minute
960 breaths in an hour
8,409,600 in a year
If you live to 80
my love, you will approximately take
672,768,000 during your life.

I believe you calculate breaths
by how hard you love,
It will extend your time
taking deep sighs at midnight oceans
and holding your breath on birthdays
just enough to freeze this notion
that we can also live to hope

How many jaded lives
do you think never bother with it?
Living interrupted pauses,
accidents and numerous causes

I’d rather be caught in a kiss
out of breath-
than to suspend disbelief
Is it plausible to dream
of life in perfect calculations
rhythms and heart palpitations?



The secret of success is
to unlock the ultimate you
written of in books, tablets and nooks
I’d rather live it all
The doomed and risen love
a seemingly complicated life
whatever steps or breaths
that shares the same space with you
I measure a heart beat
beat by beat
chest to chest
a life of stolen breaths

© Rafael Andrade Garza, June 13, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment