Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Poem: Shiprock

This poem came about from a trip late last summer through New Mexico into Utah. As we drove past Shiprock, New Mexico, that monumental mountain grabbed me like nothing else and it compelled this poem. It was such a stunning view that it could be seen from at least 20 miles or so away it was a slated queen of that arid rugged landscape. I hope you enjoy this poem! Please comment below-Rafael Andrade Garza


Shiprock

Rapture my heart
Before the discriminating vultures
Pick off my best parts
Hide me in the New Mexico Mountains
Before the masquerading sun will set
with her tangerine blush eyes
lashed out black flapper clouds

I’ve laid my best plans
Against her stone-
I’ve decided to walk
This yearning stomach emotion
to Shiprock, New Mexico
that great rock in the glorious distance
every peering eye can see it
your heart can’t miss it

Fortress enough to save
Superman,
Heart of Navajo Nation-
Sandy ice pillars
Fortress enough to fit
all of my solitude

The longer I stared at that grand rock
shimmering road leading us to Arizona
The more my heart sought shelter
in her sky peaks
and jagged breasts
the more my soul danced
shadows against her August sky

She looked like a cap-sized ship
confident nose lifted to Native Indian sky-
Her erosion a slow pageant to
Sediment pressure, untimely rain,
and sentiment stars

She stood strong to stone
Shiprock, you moved me
Even as you stood vigilante
in that orange velvet sky

© Rafael Andrade Garza, September 3, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment