Friday, May 3, 2013

Poem: Firewalker

This poem was brought about by an attraction that never really saw the light of day. Love is such a universal theme and this particular story doesn't end with the two desperate ever coming together. Sometimes, the unknown is far attractive than the actual notion of getting together. Please comment below, let me know what you think. Thanks for reading! -Rafael Andrade Garza






firewalker

Some kind of fire
You had over me
Burning, smoldering
Even the farthest memories
Punished me
At first sight,
Your golden hair
Fanned the highest flames
Porcelain doll lips
Kept hinting, suggesting
You played cleverest of games, girl
Unforgiving time passed
I saw that the color of  your hair
turned dark chestnut
seemingly innocent lips
now outlined in black soot
You quieted the flames, girl
You shushed those emotions
and ate heartbeats
like hospital scanners
surrounded by cupped prayers of return
I finally let the wick go,
Yet it still irritates
More than it burns
Agitated now and then
by Hollywood romantic notions
A gift of that grand fire
That did engulf you and me
 I’m a firewalker now-
Your fire didn’t cleanse me
Those drafts and beaten tracks have gone
“Now I'm saving all my loving
for someone who's loving me” x 2

© Rafael Andrade Garza, November 16. 2011.











No comments:

Post a Comment