Sunday, April 28, 2013

Original Poem: Take Me

Today's poem was written rather recently and it came about in a drunken stupor. Or let's say the words were flowing nicely after a few beers. As with the majority of my  poems, it's an emotional, matter of fact poem, that center's on a man's character and the way he views his world. I hope you enjoy this piece! Thanks for reading it...


Take Me

take me as I am
there is no other version
or perfect self
take me for what I say
even if the over-cast sky
produces no rain
take me for what I do
even though I say do as I say
don't do as I do
take me for my actions
and not my constant retractions
you know I'm not perfect
I'm percolating through all the hurt
misinformation and the dirt
it's almost sunrise
and I'm almost out of excuses
take me
in the clouded morning
as fact,
whatever it is I come up with
in my night's calculations
When the sun comes up
believe I said it shines
If my road is riddled with obstacles
imagine them as diamonds
tender to the cut
take me at my word
as a man,
when I say I'll be there
rain or shine
my word is my only currency
in this recovering economy
take me as a friend
or hardened angel
for advice and counsel
one that will pay a visit
or make a timely phone call
take me
with you
wherever you go
even if it's hell or high water
take me there
I work best when pain comes in large doses
my heart is filled with roses
I'll be the one sorting sinners and saints
pitchfork in hand,
negotiating with God
for our way
back to heaven.

(c) Rafael Andrade Garza, April 11, 2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment