Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Original Poem: Band-Aid Heart

From time to time, The Golden Sentence will be featuring poems by Rafael Andrade Garza, but will also allow for other original poetry. This original poem will feature my twin brother Rey Andrade Garza, who's a talented educator and master debater who also dabbles in writing. The following is a recent emotional poem submitted exclusively for this blog.

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."---Henry David Thoreau

Band-Aid Heart

Too many times this Band-aid heart
Lost scores of battles from the start
Every beginning was always the finish
Where hope crosses paths to diminish
Soul and heart near flat line flashes
Lightning spears the night
Blood covered, Peroxide shores
Crushed dreams, tears crashes
Along this lonely island washes
With this patchwork heart
It bleeds, it cuts, it pumps
Seemingly alive by a fragile thread
Ahead, assuredly I travel
the road most traveled
So afraid you might not find me
Just beyond last night's darkened storm
I awaken,
At light's first break
With your love's compass at hand
I map out your horizon
And GPS'd your hearts coordinates
To lay the groundwork
Blueprint this castle in the air
With such silhouetted flair
I'm your ready patient
that only your medicine can cure
patch me up love
this is what I need
I've tried the gauze and the spray
to all the areas
minus the heart
It's not as simple as the touch
you can't see all the hits I've taken
the scores of band-aids
riddled on my bathroom floor
all the cuts I've taken in
you're seeing me wounded
lone last lion
on this desperate kingdom
to you it's golden as the moon
as your heart lays next to mine
not knowing that I'm finished fighting
you will hopefully
peel this last band-aid
right where my last scar used to be
as if the hurt
connected them as silent old friends
but your love sent them off
To perish with your alcohol kisses.

(c) Rey Andrade Garza, April 11, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment