Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Original Poem: Main Event (Charles Bukowski vs. Saul Williams)

I recently re-viewed two films depicting two of my favorite poetic influences. Last week, I introduced my good friend Ronnie to a documentary on Charles Bukowski, "Born Into This" and it re-established my opinion that 'Ole Charles is still the reigning pound for pound poor man's Walt Whitman. Within the same week, I also dusted off my dvd of the docu-drama, SLAM with Saul Williams and it moved me again that of the modern beat poets, Saul isn't a pretender but a contender with the beat greats. Williams's poetic style is  very spiritual and mathematical take while Bukowski's draws on the dark and raw aspects of everyday life. Today, I will be featuring a poem from my vault, illustrating my two poetic heroes going toe to toe. I hope you enjoy it!


Main Event
 
(Charles Bukowski vs. Saul Williams)

 
Break.
peace. love. war.
those are fightin’ words man
one more beer
I’ll take you on
you jab me with the rain
run circles around me
like Sugar Ray Leonard
dazzle me with the stars
I have no room for your metaphors
I’ll uppercut you with brutal truth
straight right with my hardest fight
we take seats
with opposite sides of the lyrical universe
spit in the poetic bucket
Break.
You come with a right (ous) cross
I duck it.
In the center,
we embrace in brotherhood
separate like enemies
in the canon neighborhood
hard left to my body
your beautiful rhyme
gets me every time
Break.
I wonder
who’s the best pound for pound?
your words vs. mine
we roll with the best punches around
you bring spirituality in your corner
I never let my bluebird die out
in this painful life
you bring the best to the bout
to fight the promotion machine
leave no word undone
with these specialties
we battle the injustice, son.

- Rafael Andrade Garza © June 22, 2006

photo courtesy of fineartamerica.com
photo courtesy of borninflames.tumblr.com

1 comment:

  1. Favorite line: "Spit in the poetic bucket!" As if blood and verse mixed like sweat and tears! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete