Saturday, April 27, 2013

Original Poem: Strangeland

After taking a breather from this blog, feeling refreshed, I'm going to start submitting a series of original and recently edited poems from my chapbook: "Heart Code".  I updated this poem, from an oldie I had called: "a heavy stone sinks to the bottom of the riverbend" from 2006. It's an introspective poem about personal struggles and in light of my recent obstacles, coming out of a long term relationship and seeking full time work, it seems as though I'm re-visiting this chapter again in my life. I edited the poem, quite recently, and I think it flows much better in this fashion. I hope you enjoy reading it. 

Strangeland

the way you look at me now
is far from the country I knew
I was riddled in blame
my soul once a landscape
 of heavy rain
what you witness now
rivers of my redemption
mirror and surge
upon your rocky eyes
my inner walls
retreat and surrender
you arrived just in time
to witness my heart’s betrayal,
I shall sink in familiar murky waters
Capsized love-
For, I’m neither a boatman nor a captain
I’m caught at the riverbank
immigrant in my own homeland

© Rafael Andrade Garza, 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment